Sunday, August 30, 2009

Time Article

There was a very annoying article in Time Magazine recently. It was from a dude who was taking the stance that exercise won't help you lose weight. You can read the whole article here. However, he was just blaming exercise for his poor choices.

And here is an excellent rebuttal.

I think I'm particularly annoyed at Time for giving this idea a platform. I realize that not everyone needs a gym to get in shape (in fact, most people who lose weight use walking), but if you burn more calories than you consume - you will lose weight. It's a simple equation. It seems that too many people are already frightened by the idea of exerting themselves without giving them an excuse not to.

I thought of this article yesterday when I was asked on two separate times if I "was killing myself at the gym". I thought it was sad that it seemed like the only way I could lose weight was to "kill myself at the gym." I admit it's hard to get in the habit but I am at the point where I feel uncomfortable if I don't go to the gym. But I thought that a few years ago - and stopped going to the gym and gained back the weight I had lost (about 30 pounds). But I am glad it happened so I know I can't get complacent and assume that it will take care of itself.

No comments: