Wednesday, March 25, 2009

In Defense of Food


I just read In Defense of Food by Michael Pollan (he also wrote The Omnivore's Dilemma).  He says the the key to eating healthfully can be summed up in seven words. "Eat food, not too much, mostly plants". 

On the whole I quite liked it. I thought it was sensible. With the glaring exception of the anti-science mentality he seems to espouse. He blames science for developing food that is unhealthy (although in most cases they were trying to develop food to help people). It was annoying.

Otherwise, I liked what he said about trying to eat real food - not stuff that has been processed beyond all recognition. And of course I liked the bit about the plants. Plants are yummy.


1 comment:

J. Durden said...

Science is garbage, Laura. DUH! ANARCHY RULEZ