Sunday, January 11, 2009

Books

I've found it helpful in my weight loss journey to read the odd book about weight loss. But it is difficult to find one that won't drive me nuts. I don't want some schmaltzy self-help book or a book about a new fad diet.

So far I found two sane books.

The first is Breaking Through Your Set Point by George Blackburn, MD. 

I found it soon after I started my regime and he espouses much of the standards I set for myself (i.e. losing weight 10% at at a time, taking time to maintain).

I didn't like his statements about sleeping more to lose weight. I sleep when I'm tired and wake up naturally most of the time - I can't help it if it's not 8 or 9 hours!










The other one is Calorie Queens by Jackie Scott et al.

I like her practical (and personally successful) advice. She tells how she and her daughter both lost massive amounts of weight. The first half is better than the second, but it is the one I would recommend the most.

I don't like the 'trendy' name she came up for her method. She call is Eucalorics. Basically, she says you need to calculate the numbers of calories you would need to consume to maintain your ideal weight. Then you eat that many calories - every day for the rest of your life.

Harsh, but true.

I don't think it's the method for me (I don't think I could count calories like that). But it was sane.

Now I need to look for a new book to keep me focused. That means I have to brave the self-help section - blech.

 

No comments: