Monday, June 14, 2010

Diet Myths That Keep Us Fat


I just finished reading Diet Myths That Keep Us Fat by Dr. Nancy Snyderman. It was surprisingly good. It was grounded in common sense and had lots of useful information. I really liked what she said about junk food, "Giving up junk food is easier than you think. Whole, fresh food offers sensual delights that fast food could never match. If you think about it, it's junk food that's tasteless, requiring large amounts of salt, corn syrup, and trans fat to make it palatable. If you forget about the war between fats and carbs and focus instead on nutritional value, you'll have a diet than is not only healthier but more delicious."

There are a few of my pet peeves in there. As I believe I have bemoaned before - so many of the books written by someone who has lost weight have only lost less than 50 pounds. If you have 50 pounds to lose you are probably in the overweight/low obese range. It is different when someone is morbidly obese. The least of which the time it takes to do it. But that is a subject for another post.
She is also promoting her "Treat Yourself Diet". That always annoys me. If you have a name for it it's a diet - not a lifestyle.

Regardless, I'll still give it 4 stars.

No comments: