Monday, March 1, 2010

Fat Acceptance

I feel conflicted about the Fat Acceptance movement. On the surface I agree with it. I don't think fat should be a negative word. It is just a adjective to describe stature. It's not a synonym for ugly - as it is often used. Although it's also possible to be fat and healthy, it think it's rare.

However, I have many issues with Fat Acceptance. I think many people in the movement use it as an excuse to accept their less than healthy lifestyles. It also seems that many people in the movement make the mistake of blaming their genes: Actual obesity caused by a genetic disorder is extremely rare. It's more likely that you share the same lifestyle of your parents. But speaking of DNA, Stanford did a study with interesting ramifications. I need to point out that all of the diets involve reducing calories.

There also seems to be a lot of intolerance of people from the community towards those who are trying to lose weight. Many are holding onto the belief that changing ones diet won't effect ones weight - despite all of the evidence to the contrary.

I guess I believe that a person can accept themselves and still try and change for the better.

No comments: