Tuesday, September 29, 2009

“There’s a subterfuge of health. But it’s just vanity.”

Msn.com had a very interesting article today about detox "cleansing" diets. I would recommend reading it. I really liked this part at the end:

"As Carly Milne, a 33-year-old journalist in L.A. and former master cleanser, puts it, “If I were to tell my girlfriends I was going on a diet to lose weight, they’d all say, ‘Love yourself for who you are; you look fabulous!’ But if I say I’m on a quest to get healthy, everyone is really supportive. It’s like you’re taking care of yourself, instead of beating up on yourself for not being perfect.”

Unfortunately most of the forum comments are from idiots.

3 comments:

Name goes here said...

I love how the woman who almost died on her raw food diet still thinks “there are a lot of benefits to it. Some people have been very successful on the raw diet for years and years, so it can work.” Bleh.

However, I did like the phrase "potential enema dependence." How can I work that into casual conversation?

Name goes here said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Name goes here said...

Okay, this comment is just ridiculous.

"I think it is interesting that in a country where a majority of the population is obese we put so much faith in these doctors who "know so much more than everyone else in the world." I know people who have gone on liquid diets prescribed by nutritionists. I am sorry but we need to wake up and open our minds a little bit..."

"... I bet that most of these M.D.'s have never had a colonic and probably think it is some kind of voodoo. Why not test some of these methods for yourself before you go tell your patients how dangerous and ineffective they are. Have they ever picked up a book on Tao?"